Monday, August 12, 2013

Summer successes and losses

As the summer simpers to a close, I find myself reconciled to the fact that I did not accomplish great things the last two months.  I had big plans for organization, and weight loss.  Alas, the house is still messy, and I am up ten pounds.  Emily, my married daughter who lived with me this summer, was going to help me.  She did clean out cupboards and urge me towards healthier eating habits.  Thanks, Emily, for remaining your cheerful self during your husband's absence.  He serves in the Army Reserves and has been in Missouri since Ruby was six weeks old.  He returns home next month to whisk wife and baby away!

 In the meantime I have hurt my knee and spend a lot of time moaning and feeling sorry for myself.  I had an MRI and will report to Dr. Watson on Wednesday morning.  However, I have read the MRI report and looked up all the terms on the internet, and I am not encouraged.  I may have to have some surgery or bear the pain.  Maybe both!

 I have had lots of time to reflect on life.  Just the other day I ate some Cracker Jacks at three in the morning while I mused about my life.  This has always been one of my best times for pondering the mysteries of the Universe.  Perhaps I should start leaving out the "Cracker Jacks" part.

  Perhaps I didn't get my house as clean as I or my neighbor and friend, Dorma would have liked, but I sure had fun reconnecting with friends.  I had needy friends this summer.  Poor Dorma fell down her steps in June, hitting her Gluteus Maximus squarely on the step.  She called me almost immediately, and I inspected her rear, which looked as if it had been artificially padded.  She called it her "Kardashian Butt".  I was almost sure that it was a huge hematoma, but we went to the Doctor where he confirmed my suspicions.  Nothing but time would absorb all that blood.  Dorm  could not even sit on a chair, and spend lots of time leaning on furniture.  I found it hysterically funny that she also took pictures of her injured part, but did not text them to anyone!!  She just wanted to follow the progression of her injury....!  Dorma is sixty-six, but acts and looks like she is fifty (or younger).
               
                                                                             Dorma



   We went out to the Munks last weekend where SueAnn continues to be remarkable at remodeling two houses at once.  It was fun to visit with Kylie and Jeff, and to see Kyle's new boat!
    As the summer progressed, so many of my friends had trials.  I commiserated with each one of them while giving thanks for my blessings and knowing full well that my time would come again!  Still, I am thankful for a little reprieve (excepting the knee injury) from some of the problems my friends have experienced.  I have relished each and every day with Ruby (my bubbergirl) and having an adult relationship with my daughters, Emily and Bethany.  Jerry and I celebrated our 30th anniversary on the 30th of July.  We spent some time at Bear Lake and attended the "famous" Pickleville theatre.  I had a picture taken by some Japanese tourists that I really do not want to post, but Debbie insisted it was the picture of a middle aged couple who had raised seven kids, and that the picture was "sweet".  I am not sure I see the "sweet" part, but the middle-aged part is definitely showing through.

                                               This is "us"  (one of us is trying to hold in their stomach) - with little
                                              success

   The Missionaries are great, and I am thankful every day for their service.  They are great kids and are having wonderful adventures!  Rachel is a trainer as is Matthew and enjoying it very much.  Mark believes that he may be transferred soon.

                                            Elder Mark Taylor signing "Oklahoma" (I had to ask Alex)

Elder Matthew Taylor standing in a random field?


Sister Rachel Taylor, Dearborn, Michigan




  Perhaps accomplishment can come in the little ways in which you go about your daily activities and relationships with family and friends.  I hope so because that underwear drawer is not getting organized this summer!!!

7 comments:

  1. Jane, I love your writing! Thanks for your sense of humor about life and for posting a picture of Dorma. Another great example from the ward I grew up in. Good luck with the knee, hope it heals and life gets back to "normal" ha ha :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, thanks so much! I love that you like reading my stuff! Yeah, I guess it would be boring if life were normal? Not going to happen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sister Taylor, this is Crystal Arthur. I'm not sure if you remember me (It's okay if you don't. It's been about a year and a half since we moved out of the ward), but I stumbled across your blog the other day and I just had to read (sorry if that makes me a little stalker-ish). I wasn't in your ward very long, but I consider myself very blessed to have known you--even just briefly. I aspire to face life's challenges with the humor and strength that you have. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal, How is your baby? I bet he is getting so big!!! I made another comment below...(forgot to push the reply )

      Delete
    2. We are doing so well. My "baby" is actually not my baby anymore. He almost 2 and is SUCH a busy boy. He lost his baby status to his little sister, who is 4 months old. I've got my hands full and am loving it. I'm so glad you remember me. :) I still use your "Cooking with Jane" recipes all that time. :)

      Delete
  5. Crystal, how are you!!! Of course I remember you! I was sad when you moved. I love having the young families in our ward. No , you are definitely not a stalker, and I love that you read my blog!! I am honored, and thank you so much for your kind words!!!

    ReplyDelete