Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Missionaries are a busy blessing

Writing and sending packages to four missionaries can be difficult for anyone let alone someone as unorganized as myself.  Okay, I will admit it......letters and pictures from my four kids are stuffed in various drawers.  They are not in beautifully scrapbooked pages with clever headings and quotes.  I am hoping to unearth some of them this summer with Dorma's help.  She is very talented when it comes to organizing, and maybe I can get some semblance of a recording of their time in the mission field.
I write regularly to them, and should have files of different subjects that can be addressed should a topic arise....but I have to rely on my brain which is quickly fading.  I have had to send letters that should be filed under:

     How to feel good about yourself when you seem to be a failure.
     How to get along with people who bug you.
     How to fight frustration when no one wants to hear your message.
     How the Atonement can help you with feelings of inadequacy.
     How to be humble when you know more than your companion.
     How to be teachable when you realize you know nothing.
     How to accept the fact that your mother always knew more than you thought she did.

Lately, I wish I had more time to learn the things that my kids are learning.  I want to take the time to ponder the scriptures, to think about the things they are thinking, and to be teachable as well.
I have cut way back on the TV watching, and try to find time to study the Gospel every day.  I have scriptures on CD in my car, and that helps a great deal in bringing the Spirit.  Still, I have to go to school and teach piano every day and find myself too tired many nights.  I tell them all the time how lucky they are to have the time to immerse themselves in the Gospel.

Rachel is still with Sister Heywood, Matthew is awaiting a new companion , Mark is with Elder Guzman, who is from Mexico, and Bethany is with Sister Cameron.  Bethany is in Sunny Burbank where she talks about "sun-kissed people" and swaying palm trees and the cute red door of her apartment.  She sounds like she is on vacation.  She is two blocks away from Disney Studios, Warner Brothers, and NBC.
 Rachel and Matthew are preparing for a cold, wet winter where they say the bitter wind from the lakes cuts to the bone.  Mark is in Texas where they will probably have a fairly mild time of it.

I will now attempt to add some photos.  This may or may not work.  Yay!!!, It did!  Maybe
I can organize their letters!!
   
   
Rachel and Sister Heywood

Bethany and Sister Cameron

Matthew with Thomas and Rachel (a recent convert)

Matthew and some of his district members

Matthew riding his bike in Cleveland

Mark with a cow?

Mark and his companion, Elder Guzman

Rachel and Sister Heywood looking cute

Hey!!!  It did work!
Rachel and her hand-me-downs
hat, scarf, and coat from ward member
skirt from companion.


   

4 comments:

  1. Last night we had a very special visitor here in the Heywood home. Our new sister had just arrived here in the Canyon Country 1st ward and came to meet the parents of her sisters companion (well, former companion) We are so excited to have Sister Taylor here with us! Emma aka Sister Heywood has LOVED serving with Rachel. We will take very good care of our new missionary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my Goodness!! I can hardly believe it! Rachel says that Sister Heywood is the little sister she never had:D How wonderful! Ahh, I loved hearing from you, and knowing that you are seeing my Bethany makes me so happy! Thank you, Thank you so very much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your last how to. Reading your blog and seeing pictures is so awesome. I've been writing Rachel and get excited for the next letter! I am so glad they are doing so well, I need to come visit with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Kylie, I miss you! I love your blog too, and need to comment!!

    ReplyDelete