Monday, June 16, 2014

Time

One of my favorite books is "Cheaper by the Dozen" by Frank Gilbreth and his sister, Ernestine Gilbreth Carey.  Yes, I know there is a show with Steve Martin out with this name, but the book came before it!   Major industries would hire Frank Gilbreth, Sr. and his wife Lillian to be efficiency experts. They were industrial engineers who were way ahead of their time.  And...that is what they did!  They saved time.  Someone asked Mr. Gilbreth why he wanted to save time, and what was he going to do with it once he saved it.  He replied, "For work, if you love that best, for education, for beauty, for art, for pleasure.  He then added, "For mumblety-peg, if that's where your heart lies."  I had read this book at least once a year for forty years before I finally looked up "mumblety-peg".  It is actually a children's game that was played with pocket knives many years and was even mentioned in Mark Twain's , "Tom Sawyer, Detective". I knew it was old when I saw "children and pocket knives".  I always surmised that he meant mumblety-peg as a synonym for "stupid wasting of time".

I do quite a bit of that myself, and find myself a little frantic about accomplishing great tasks this summer.  Too much to do, and so little time!  How do I clean, garden , organize and have time for family and friends?  Right now, the boy's friends, Alex and Nate are downstairs cleaning out their bedrooms.  I try not to go downstairs.  It has become a huge collect-all area.   When Emily lived with us last summer, she used the rooms as a bit of storage.  Sadly, enough, we even put the cat box in Mark's room.  Who else is going to use that room? We thought Sam might as well have a quiet moment in there.  Well, It's time to rid ourselves of the carpet, (maybe the cat, since he is Emily's cat anyway)  clothes from Ben and Adam when they were in their teens, and really ugly christmas decorations.   I used to save clothes, and pass them down. My babies are twenty, and we have clothing that needs to go to a third world country. I see a big DI run in the near future!!

People who know me know that I am somewhat of a hoarder.  I like to throw out the term ADD , so that I have an excuse as if a medical term will give me allowance.   Lest you think the worst of me, our house could hardly be condemned, but we do not always have a "place of everything and put that everything in its place".  My time is spent playing and teaching piano, reading wonderful books, and spending time with family and friends.  I would like to be the type of person who can keep up on everything , and I often agonize over my inability to do so.  I would like to figure out how to save time, and to do the things I want to do, yet feel comfortable in my space.  I have spent a lifetime enjoying the quiet moments, but feel I could enjoy them a little more if I were a little like my friends Dorma and SueAnn.  They are workaholics, however they know how to have fun.

Kylie, SueAnn's daughter, said that she lay last night in the quietness listening to her husband breathe, and it was wonderful.  She spoke about the little moments in life.  She is a lot like her mom, always accomplishing something , and so she relishes those quiet moments where we can just think and appreciate. I suppose that is what I am trying to do this summer and yet....time...what to do with it?

It has occurred to me that the next twenty years are going to go even faster than the last twenty, and I am a little melancholy thinking of how quickly time passes.  How to spend it?  How to accomplish the things that matter, and yet....truly enjoy the moments?  I think I would like to write more, to read an hour every day and to get that exercise that I really need.

Stephen R. Covey, who while a terrific example of achieving success spiritually, intellectually, and emotionally....makes me feel as if I cannot do it all.  He says that if we spend one hour a day total on the three types of this exercise, we will see fabulous results.  We must never get too busy "sawing to sharpen the saw, too busy driving to get gas." I think I really am going to try to take a balanced, systematic (and this word is not in my vernacular) regular approach to improve the capacity of my body and brain.  He speaks of habit.  He says that in his opinion, "habit is the most single, beneficial discipline in life."  He says that he still struggles, but always tries. If every writer  or speaker postponed doing so until they were perfect, nothing would ever be written or spoken!

My mom gave me a book when I was first married.  She knew I loved Stephen R. Covey, but although I read parts of the book, I soon became crazy busy with kids and life.  I pulled this book out this morning, and got a little teary, when I read , "For Jane, I love you!,  love Mom".  She was my biggest advocate, and my cheerleader when I was overwhelmed with responsibilities.  I believe she still looks in on me from time to time, and wants me to succeed.  What parent would not?

I am going to read this book from cover to cover and recommend it highly to anyone who feels "they cannot do it all".  It is entitled, "The Divine Center".  Stephen Covey says,  "divinely centered people savor life.  Because their securities comes from within instead of from without, they have no need to categorize and stereotype everything and everybody in life to give them a sense of certainty and predictability.  They see old faces freshly, old scenes as for the first time.  They rediscover people each time they meet them.  They are interested in them. They ask questions and get involved.  They are present when they listen.  They learn from them.  They see no one bigger than life.  They are not overawed by General Authorities, top government figures, or celebrities.  They build on their strengths and strive to complement their weaknesses with the strengths of others."

Yes, I think its time to quit wishing I was someone else and learn to be happy in  both the quietness and business of my own life. I know that there are others out there who compare themselves with others.  Isn't it wonderful we are all so different?  Different doesn't have to be superior or inadequate.

And, so, even as I marvel over Dorma's carefully organized kitchen cupboards, I will do what I can to make myself comfortable  with who I am, and find ways to give myself the time to do what I truly what to accomplish.  Perhaps, then the guilt and inferiority complete will pass away.....as well as the next twenty years. but joyfully without the comparison I have always carried with me.

Thanks Nate and Alex for getting me thinking!!


service is a process, and hopefully the process will give Mark a beautiful new room!





No comments:

Post a Comment